Monday, July 18, 2011

Wheel of Rhythm

Another way to add music to your classroom is by having a variety of rhythm instruments!  I like to have a lot of structure in these activities otherwise it can turn chaotic fast!  After multiple lessons on how to play each instrument (over the course of a few months) it's fun to mix it up a bit.  
The Wheel of Rhythm is something I made to do just that!  I start by passing out the instruments at circle.  I spin the top part (or have a child spin it) and whatever instrument appears in the window is what is played.  Usually to one of the "beats" we've learned or they choose their favorite.
Here's a close up of the 'window'.  There is also a window of green meaning 'everyone play' and red for everyone to stop!

This is just made from 2 pieces of poster board, some die cuts (that I did at Ben Franklin) and pictures I took of  instruments.  I printed them out so they are all the same size.  What makes it spin is a rivet used for scrapbooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment